Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Marching Right Along

It's March 1st! In like a lion, with blowing snow and a -36 degree windchill. I've basically been sick since New Year's. I just get one cold under control and another one swoops in to fill the void. I can't wait for spring.



My DD and I are already planning our garden. We have no room to plant in the ground but we'll be using containers as much as possible, and maybe some carrots or lettuce in the flower garden (unless the rabbits eat everything). I'm eager to finish building my composter this spring, too. It's hard to imagine warmth and spring when you look out the window to 3 feet of snow.


I've got a couple of crafty projects going right now to keep me busy on those long dark cold nights. I'm making a flannelette rag quilt for our bed to replace the old second-hand quilt that is falling apart. I'm making it king-sized for our queen-sized bed because I hate having only a small amount of overhang and feeling the cold draft when my DH rolls over in the night.

I had trouble finding flannel so I'm using flannelette and hoping like mad that it turns out the same. The down side to using flannelette is it is almost all in baby prints and baby colours, so the quilt is going to be very bright. I've promised DD a quilt after I'm done this one, and have designed one that I'm not sure I can pull off, but I like a challenge! Here's a preview:



My other project is making a poncho for DD. How things come full circle! I remember the good old days of the 70's and early 80's when I used to wear a poncho too. I've never mastered the art of crocheting granny squares, so I decided to knit squares and crochet a border around them, then sew them together patchwork style to make the poncho. If it doesn't end up working out, I'll turn it into a blanket instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment