Thursday, March 17, 2011

Healthy Habits

This year I decided not to make a long term New Year's resolution, but to make short term goals of concentrating on one new healthy habit per month. I thought that hopefully some will stick and make a difference long term. I've never been good at sticking to anything like a diet - I sometimes can't even last a week!

For January, I decided to go with the theme of "Junkless January". I had definitely overindulged at Christmas and felt that a month of no sweets or junkfood was a good "detox" period. I knew that this was not going to be a long term change but it did help me lose 3 pounds of Christmas fat.

"Fruity" February started off with a trip to the grocery store and an old crystal bowl. I put washed fruits in the bowl and set it on the kitchen table. I also started cutting up a fruit like apple or orange and just setting it on a plate on the table at lunch and dinner. I found with these 2 easy steps, everyone started to eat more fruit - not just me! Suddenly it was readily available, visible and inviting. I splurged on some fruits out of season and we enjoyed strawberries and watermelon. I felt cheered up just by eating my oranges and didn't care so much that it was blizzarding outside and in the -30s. This change has stuck and will be long term. The bowl is still on the table and the fruit is still being eaten!

I had planned on "Muscles March", concentrating on resistance exercises like push-ups, sit-ups and leg lunges. I just didn't get into it and now it is more than half way through the month and it's a wash-out. I had planned on "Agua April" to ensure I drank enough water but maybe I should try "Aerobics April" instead. Although I could go with "Move-it May" and encorporate both types of exercise. It will be easier to get outside then, after the snow has melted and the giant ocean-like puddles have subsided.

At least one good habit has formed and we are only in our 3rd month of the year. How time flies, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment